Squad Ops
Hello There, Guest! Register

OPERATION: HIGHTOWER
I was wandering around Gorodok in admin cam earlier this week and found a few locations that I felt would make for interesting Assault style Ops. Further input from others about my ideas and some curiosity on my part about whether or not AlwaysValidPlacement could be used in a balanced method in an Op. The idea is inspired one part by OPERATION: CHAINLINK (one of my favorites) and one part by my enjoyment of creating fortified positions in games.

With that in mind, I present the W.I.P. mock-up for OPERATION: HIGHTOWER.

Please give me some feedback or ask any questions you might have. I'm aware the idea is a bit strange and the document could be somewhat confusing.
I think you just wanted to show off that bad ass outpost you built.

Seriously, I love the Op idea. The Russians have the opportunity to get all their assets across the bridges up north early, but if they wait around for too long then the militia can cut them off. Also, the militia defense doesn't have to worry about a 4-sided ambush since they are near the southwest edge of the map. Gorodok's expansion has made me love the vast open spaces it has to offer while still giving infantry plenty of foliage for concealment.
Squawk!
[+] 1 user Likes Birdperson1's post
(07-26-2017, 09:53 PM)Birdperson1 Wrote: I think you just wanted to show off that bad ass outpost you built.

Seriously, I love the Op idea. The Russians have the opportunity to get all their assets across the bridges up north early, but if they wait around for too long then the militia can cut them off. Also, the militia defense doesn't have to worry about a 4-sided ambush since they are near the southwest edge of the map. Gorodok's expansion has made me love the vast open spaces it has to offer while still giving infantry plenty of foliage for concealment.

It does look kinda sexy though you have to admit  Wink
  What's your favorite map? Vote Here! http://forums.squadops.gg/showthread.php?tid=1927

[Image: 03dkx7a.jpg]
(07-26-2017, 09:53 PM)Birdperson1 Wrote: I think you just wanted to show off that bad ass outpost you built.

Aye. I figured that with access to two KPVTs and two 12.7 HMGs as well as GL and RPG fire, the Russians wouldn't be at too major a disadvantage in attacking now that destructable defensive structures is a thing. The only assets invulnerable to the 14.5s are the two Indirect Fire Shelters, and those have their own disadvantages.

I do need to edit the document to add in the stipulation that double layering sandbags is a no no as I feel that would negate the power of the 14.5s and explosives.
My feedback:
- There are a lot of specialty rules around this, and with the new FOB destruction it is a lot of building, just to take a ton of vehicle fire.
- There are a lot of vehicles. Take a look at our other Ops on Gorodok, we rarely use all the MTLBs or other light armor.
- Centering an Op around AlwaysValidPlacement is usually a bad idea as it creates a surreal experience, not cinematic
- The outpost you've chosen is bordered by water, if we use the bridges restriction, it limits what angles of attack the enemy team has, creating less dynamic gameplay.

Overall, I think you have the basic idea down for an assault Operation, but I think this may not be the place to hold it, and there is still some balance tweaking to be done.
(07-27-2017, 05:39 PM)Capnmatt Wrote: My feedback:
- There are a lot of specialty rules around this, and with the new FOB destruction it is a lot of building, just to take a ton of vehicle fire.
- There are a lot of vehicles. Take a look at our other Ops on Gorodok, we rarely use all the MTLBs or other light armor.
- Centering an Op around AlwaysValidPlacement is usually a bad idea as it creates a surreal experience, not cinematic
- The outpost you've chosen is bordered by water, if we use the bridges restriction, it limits what angles of attack the enemy team has, creating less dynamic gameplay.

Overall, I think you have the basic idea down for an assault Operation, but I think this may not be the place to hold it, and there is still some balance tweaking to be done

Thanks for the feedback Matt. You've made some good points about the idea and I can see some definite changes that need to happen now that you've brought them up. 

The amount of vehicles used is more to compensate for the powerful defensive position and structures of the Stronghold than anything else. I do agree that the mobility restriction would limit gameplay however so I'll be removing that stipulation.

Given the current state of the game and possibilities for things to go wrong I believe you are correct that having AlwaysValidPlacement be the main focus of an Op is probably a bad idea (at least until the day we can load up presets or maps with defenses placed down already.

That being said, I think I can work out a way to reduce the specialty rules and still make use of AVP.
  • Militia get two initial logi dumps before live.
  • SLs and command place defensive structures before live and have them built up
  • As soon as all build points are burned AlwaysValidPlacement is enabled and two DSHK and one SPG-9 are placed 
  • Once emplacements are down AVP is turned off and live is called
  •  Militia may grab two additional logi dumps to shore up defenses AFTER live is called
  • Russian armored vehicle count will be dropped to a single BTR-80 and instead Russia will get a transport vehicle alongside their Logi. 
  • Russian support fob HMG bunker counter bumped up to 2 as the 12.7s cannot destroy sandbags. 
  • Militia will lose their SPG techie, replacing it with a transport technical.
  • Mobility restrictions are removed
  • Double layering sandbags is still a no no
  • Russian start area moved closer to the Stronghold to give Militia less potential time to shore up defenses
Thoughts on these changes? Also there is another location I had in mind for this op that would provide even more attack options for Russia but I'll throw that up when I'm home

EDIT: Added pictures of the alternate location for Militia to hold, a natural, deep trench system located at K4-7-2
[+] 1 user Likes Sightless's post
That new location is sick. Reminds me of a jagged mountain top location my platoon had to hold for 2 weeks. The gulch in between the rocks serves as a perfect spot for a medic and command to maintain good defilade from incoming bombardment of fire. Obviously the rest of the squads would be pushed out a little and not bunched up in there but it's a great place to fall back to when numbers are low.

I just want to add something extra here about Russian HMG's; I'm pretty sure I've cowered in the prone position behind some sandbags, watching sand pour out of holes, as a 12.7 HMG was ripping through them during Op Chainlink.
Squawk!
(07-28-2017, 04:44 PM)Birdperson1 Wrote: That new location is sick. Reminds me of a jagged mountain top location my platoon had to hold for 2 weeks. The gulch in between the rocks serves as a perfect spot for a medic and command to maintain good defilade from incoming bombardment of fire. Obviously the rest of the squads would be pushed out a little and not bunched up in there but it's a great place to fall back to when numbers are low.

I just want to add something extra here about Russian HMG's; I'm pretty sure I've cowered in the prone position behind some sandbags, watching sand pour out of holes, as a 12.7 HMG was ripping through them during Op Chainlink.

Aye I'm starting to lean towards that location instead. If I do I'll adjust the Op again to compensate for change in location. 

As far as I know the 12.7/.50s Ingame aren't capable of penetrating sandbags. I'll do some testing after work today to be sure however.
  • As soon as all build points are burned AlwaysValidPlacement is enabled and two DSHK and one SPG-9 are placed 
  •  Militia may grab two additional logi dumps to shore up defenses AFTER live is called
  • Russian support fob HMG bunker counter bumped up to 2 as the 12.7s cannot destroy sandbags. 
So, These are the only points I'm having issues with. Every other change sounds awesome and I think your new location is 10/10. I love the idea of natural defenses without them being OP.

Doing things like dumping logi or building defenses before live is a huge hassle. Most of the time SLs are getting in and organizing a plan before live. Especially before round 2, we have less time to do these things. I would recommend just letting full logi runs occur and maybe reverse the Russian change? I don't know, something a little more manageable. 

I like the idea of changing vehicles to bunkers, but I do worry that the attacking team trying to place bunkers gets a little finicky. Not saying it won't work, just something to think about. Hutch may have more information on it.

I think you definitely limited the use of AVP well and could be a good option if you did AVP before live, placed the three emplacements, then turned it off. Simple and time efficient.

Let me know what you think.
(07-28-2017, 11:36 PM)Capnmatt Wrote:
So, These are the only points I'm having issues with. Every other change sounds awesome and I think your new location is 10/10. I love the idea of natural defenses without them being OP.

Doing things like dumping logi or building defenses before live is a huge hassle. Most of the time SLs are getting in and organizing a plan before live. Especially before round 2, we have less time to do these things. I would recommend just letting full logi runs occur and maybe reverse the Russian change? I don't know, something a little more manageable. 

I like the idea of changing vehicles to bunkers, but I do worry that the attacking team trying to place bunkers gets a little finicky. Not saying it won't work, just something to think about. Hutch may have more information on it.

I think you definitely limited the use of AVP well and could be a good option if you did AVP before live, placed the three emplacements, then turned it off. Simple and time efficient.

Let me know what you think.

Reasonable. I can see your point about placing before live being a hassle, especially since I've been SLing more for Ops. Lemme see what I can come up with to adapt to your ideas.
  • AVP enabled after FOB is placed at start
  • Emplacements are placed but left unbuilt, AVP is then turned off
  • Militia get two logi trucks which they may dump upon live
  • Full logi runs allowed throughout the Op given new location is far north
  • Russian spawn moved to _____ (thinking maybe Mound. Dont want it too far from the north but I also dont want it too close.)
  • Attack FOB removed or again dropped down to a single NSVT bunker.
  • If attack FOB is removed, either:
  1. Remove LAT option for Russia and bump up GL per squad count to x2
  2. Give them standard MT-LB armed with 12.7 HMG (leaning towards the GL option myself)
How's that all sound?