Squad Ops
Hello There, Guest! Register

Role Play "Scenario" Ops
I've been thinking for a while how cool it would be to develop some story scenarios that players could experience - rather than player vs player, these would be structured experiences with a plot/timeline. Effectively player vs admin, where the admins' goal is not to beat the players but to guide them to specific plot points and problems and give them a realistic/tense scenario. These would not be large scale experiences but rather for single squads.

Admins, with full access to players' positions in admin cam, would thematically guide a Squad through command chat and mission briefings to allow the players to encounter interesting and thrilling moments.

E.g.

- Vehicle Check Point - player squad runs a VCP. Admins play as insurgents and approach the checkpoint. Some of the vehicles are clear of explosives and pass through the check point but one has an IED strapped to it. Players must identify which vehicles are safe and not and interact with the admins in a believable role-playing scenario. 

Admins can be antagonistic and argumentative when they are asked to leave their vehicles, can be questioned for more information opening up a secondary objective etc, players could be briefed to look out for a certain vehicle type etc.

This kind of thing is right up my street and although not in the competitive nature of the game, would be a cool thing to try. Assassination scenarios where the squad observes and must eliminate a target either from a distance or close quarters, hunt the sniper whilst being pinned in a bulding, rescue a downed pilot, plant explosives in an enemy FOB at night without being detected by the defenders, survive an ambush on your vehicle convoy...

Think Dnd, meets squad  Big Grin I think it would make for a great spectator experience as well.

Anyway, thought I'd drop it in here. I'd be happy to work on this if people were interested and if staff felt it fit in with their community goals.
With the lack of AI, this seems like a hard to accomplish task. You'd also require local voice chat to be audible to every participant to get the correct atmosphere, so you could talk to locals or hear other people. It would make it more immersive.

The positives of this would be that you could put a bunch of people into a situation and not tell them what it will be about, just their task. Then bad things could happen or none at all (but still stressful).

It would basically turn into an ArmA coop mission with lots of atmosphere and flair. Not sure if these slower paced scenarios would work without modding the base game.
You wouldn't need it to be a large scale interaction and therefore you wouldn't need any AI - a group of admins/regs acting as the opposition would be ample (and remember they could always respawn if necessary as "new troops"). Smaller scale operations would be key. Local comms across teams could also just be achieved in Discord.

I was a Royal Air Force cadet in the UK and we'd run whole weekends similar to these scenarios, with a campaign/story that junior cadets could role play through. We had about 20 NCOs running the Ops for 48 hours straight and it would always be great fun. Not saying we'd do anything on that scale, but simply that with limited resources it can be achieved.

Simple stuff really; clear this village room by room and locate a hostage (then we as organisers can have lots of fun thinking of challenges they encounter; IED diffusing, unarmed individuals (shovels out) that are questionable etc etc.

Anyway, something to think about Smile perhaps in the future!
I like it, I guess it all depends if there is enough staff interested to do it because I'm sure there's enough players based on participation to ops! I like the idea of having some staff play innocent civilians that must not be harmed, kinda like roleplaying AI lol.
Visit my channel for new releases, early access and more..
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDsLBM1...MkwRt9u6tA
(french commentary / chaine francophone)
[Image: 949043fleurdelys3.png]

Btw, if my memory serves me good, on PR, it has a game mode with civilians, it's just an additional class INS players can choose, it is unarmed and I think it can throw rocks but if blufor kills them they suffer heavy ticket loss but they can handcuff them.
Visit my channel for new releases, early access and more..
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDsLBM1...MkwRt9u6tA
(french commentary / chaine francophone)
[Image: 949043fleurdelys3.png]

Oh man - I played PR fairly early on in its development but never played it with that feature. Pretty cool concept. Really excited to see where Squad goes with time.
It's like Arma 3 Zeus mode but in Squad. Would be REALLY hard to coordinate but it sounds awesome. We would definitely need to wait until Steam workshop/mod support is out as the round times aren't really long enough to allow this at the moment though.
I'm a professional Googler.
(07-24-2017, 09:59 PM)Mighty Wrote: It's like Arma 3 Zeus mode but in Squad. Would be REALLY hard to coordinate but it sounds awesome. We would definitely need to wait until Steam workshop/mod support is out as the round times aren't really long enough to allow this at the moment though.

Ah - hadn't considered round times. That's a good point. I think the trick would be to start really simple and test the concept out, then things can get more ambitious. Anyway, just thought I'd share the idea - maybe it'll become more viable or of interest with time Smile

I guess there's nothing stopping me from coming up with something and getting a few guys together for fun to test it out. I'll have a think...
I concur with the idea that this is something worth looking at down the line, but I definitely think it would require AI of some sort or a reasonable size of Opfor players.
I think what would make this enjoyable would be that there isn't any AI - that you know you're interacting or being challenged by other humans in a set scenario. I'm seeing it as a roleplaying scenario. I think with 5-10 people running the show you could comfortably make something enjoyable and challenging for players.