Squad Ops
Hello There, Guest! Register

Listening to music while playing
We all know that Squad is based in teamwork and communication and what's important during the matches is being aware of what Squad leaders and members have to say. So why am I telling you to give music a try while playing?

Well, basically because I am going to talk about a CERTAIN type of music. I won't recommend you to listen to some loudy electro/rock music with vocals because that's not a good idea and breaks immersion pretty much. At least for me, there are some people that don't care. But I understand we all here are for the same purpose: to get more immersive experiences.

So what I am going to propose to you is to download Spotify or use YouTube or any other music platform you own and do the following. Before playing anything you will lower the volume between 25% and 50%, as you wish. Then you are going to search either Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4 or Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 & 3 OST's and rotate between these until you find the one that fits most in your game.

You might or might not tried already, so don't judge. But it really helped me to increase my immersion and chaos in some combat situations. As you know every piece of music of these OSTs has no vocals and it's pure instruments, pure suspense/action tracks, which really fitted in Squad at least for me.

But remember, lower the volume to around 25% so you can still be aware of the enviroment and to what your SL and members have to say.

Also, if you want to go beyond, try searching on YouTube "Kukusha by Polina Gagaringa" and play this while fighting in either Yehorivka or Gorodok. Nothing better than a piece of glorious russian rock song for these maps.

My most recommended OST would be: Battlefield 3.

Good night.
I have tried but can not listen to music playing squad at all, i need to be able to hear and pay attention to a lot of things, and often i will want near silence while listening for nearby footsteps or direction of contact.
I always run spotify when playing games like HOI4, CSGO, more casual fps shooters and strategy games though, find it hard to play without it.

I think i'm in an all or nothing boat.. I like to be completely jamming out, singing a lot while playing some games, or silence and absolutely focused on listening to the in game sounds.
[Image: yJvlgxh.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Lish's post
I guess music would be nice during some down-time (like driving or respawning), but game pace can go from 0-60 in the blink of an eye. Alt-tabbing or shift-tabbing is too slow to stop the music before you and your squad are all dead from some dude with an RPG. Not to mention turning music off and on again kind of ruins any enjoyment of the tunes.

I like the idea of having something quiet in the background. It'd be awesome to have Ride of the Valkyries playing while speeding down the road in a pack of motorbikes. The only issue I'd see with that is an awkward dissonance when the music is soft and light in the middle of a firefight or hard and fast while waiting for your squad.

Then it's probably best to just play without any sort or music or distraction. If you're really desperate for a sonata, just serenade the people around you in local. I'm sure they don't mind.
savage memes can't melt your magical dreams
(03-31-2017, 06:05 PM)Lish Wrote: I have tried but can not listen to music playing squad at all, i need to be able to hear and pay attention to a lot of things, and often i will want near silence while listening for nearby footsteps or direction of contact.
I always run spotify when playing games like HOI4, CSGO, more casual fps shooters and strategy games though, find it hard to play without it.

I think i'm in an all or nothing boat.. I like to be completely jamming out, singing a lot while playing some games, or silence and absolutely focused on listening to the in game sounds.

(04-01-2017, 07:53 PM)FunguyV Wrote: I guess music would be nice during some down-time (like driving or respawning), but game pace can go from 0-60 in the blink of an eye. Alt-tabbing or shift-tabbing is too slow to stop the music before you and your squad are all dead from some dude with an RPG. Not to mention turning music off and on again kind of ruins any enjoyment of the tunes.

I like the idea of having something quiet in the background. It'd be awesome to have Ride of the Valkyries playing while speeding down the road in a pack of motorbikes. The only issue I'd see with that is an awkward dissonance when the music is soft and light in the middle of a firefight or hard and fast while waiting for your squad.

Then it's probably best to just play without any sort or music or distraction. If you're really desperate for a sonata, just serenade the people around you in local. I'm sure they don't mind.

It's not like this is a poll or something like that to be choosing sides. It's just a recommendation from my part you might or not take about something that worked for me with certain type of music at certain volume level. About the alt-tabbing thing, some keyboards come with special/empty keys that you can assign for playing/stopping music which is cool and necessary if you like the idea.

As I clarified we all know that Squad is about being able to hear and communicate with others, that's why I specifically detail which type of music I play and at what volume percentage.

I am not going to be playing Disturbed or AC/DC in game, obviously. This is about ambience soundtracks.
I like the sound of rapid gunfire so I myself do not listen to music while playing. marian how come no new youtube vids?
[+] 2 users Like Glock712's post
(04-03-2017, 11:46 PM)Glock712 Wrote: I like the sound of rapid gunfire so I myself do not listen to music while playing. marian  how come no new youtube vids?

Hey Glock, whatsup buddy. Well of course that it's on my plans to make some new musical videos of Squad but playing without any HUD element is pretty difficult and annoying some times and it's necessary to give it the cinematic effect. I will do my best to try recording some intense firefights again and putting some nice ambience music in the background as I did with the Kukushka video. Speaking of it, now that Yeho and Gorodok are updated, I might update that video aswell, trying to make it PERFECT. Can't imagine how good it will look after Squad incorporates some Grozny-like map to the game.

As for now I had the idea of doing a new video on the US side.

For those that didn't see it:

I love this song, it's so epic and glorious. It's been used in a famous video of Ukraine war. I actually inspired this gameplay in that video. (The radio chatter in russian is about the grozny conflict).
[+] 1 user Likes mariandroid's post
I agree with FunguyV and Lish, most of the time music just doesn't work with Squad as you'll miss some important sound like a vehicle engine or an enemy bandaging. I would be cool if squad's soundtrack would fade in and out depending on whether you are currently engaging an enemy, but it'd be really hard to do well and that's not what OWI needs to work on right now. Basically there's no good solution so best off just going without it. That said, if I'm just playing to relax on a pub server I'll listen to music quietly.
[+] 1 user Likes Han's post